284 Engine Quit. Will run for about 5 seconds then quits again??

Forum Forums Tractor Troubleshooting 284 Engine Quit. Will run for about 5 seconds then quits again??

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Tomtoxic
      Participant

Here's the story: Doing some mowing and after about 30 minutes the engine starts dieing down and finally quits. Assumed I was out of fuel, so filled her up. No go. It will turn over and start to putter for about 5 to 10 seconds and then quits. Throttle won't do anything.

I read other posts and opened the breather on fuel injector and the thing was bone dry! Put 4 oz oil in, and then pulled each injector line and blew them out. Then changed fuel filter.

Try to start and it does the same sputtering and quits. Where should I look next? Just seems like fuel ain't getting there!

By the way, it had been close to overheating earlier in the day, and I added about 1/2 gallon of coolant.  Seemed OK for another 30 minutes.

jmayo
        Participant

This sounds very similar to the problem I had several years ago. (I didn't have low oil problems, just the other stuff).  I was mowing and towards the end of the job it starts losing power and missing and dies.  Pump the fuel injector primer, starts and a few minutes or less sputters and dies.

My problem was, ( as Bob would say) fuel bugs.  Clogged the screen filter in the bottom of the fuel tank and atop the sediment bowl.  Cleaned the tank, screens, and fuel filter.  Runs like a champ again.  Always treat fuel now and haven't had a problem in almost two years.

Affordable
          Participant

Check your fuel sediment bowl, there is also a thimble screen inside the bolt holding the fuel line on the bottom of the injector pump, Inside the tank is a screen attached to the fuel sediment bowl, you may have to remove to get fuel flowing again, sounds like the diesel bugs got you.

Tommy

Affordable Tractor Sales

“Your Jinma Parts Superstore”

http://www.affordabletractorsalesco.com

Bob Rooks
            Participant

Yup. cool

The little microscopic buggers can cause rapid corrosion in the fuel system.

They can bring a 75,000 HP diesel engine to it's knees in less than an hour, and can cause almost a million dollars in repairs.

Account deleted.

Tomtoxic
              Participant

Excellent!  I'll start removing everything in the fuel system and find the clogs. Thanks for the guidance!

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.