284 steering support seat issue

Forum Forums Tractor Troubleshooting 284 steering support seat issue

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Tomtoxic
      Participant

Somehow I managed to shear-off all the bolts holding the hydraulic steering 'rear support seat' to the cast axle, and now the thing won't turn. I clamped a couple C-clamps to hold the seat plate to the axle, but that doesn't last long.

Anyone have any ideas?  I'm having hell of a time getting the broken ends of bolts out.

pepage
        Participant

Weld a washer to the broken bolt in the casting (MIG) and then weld a nut to the washer.

Tinbender
          Participant

They are actually studs that you will have to replace (if it’s what mine has). If there is anything sticking out Snap On, Matco, Mac make a tool to grab the outside and remove them. Seems to me Sears makes one too. Also you can centerpunch and drill a 1/8″ pilot hole, then get some left handed 1/4 or 5/16 bits and use an Easy Out. Sometimes just the left handed bits will loosen and draw out the studs. Better you than mefrown  When  I broke mine I snapped the crappy welds on the bracket instead, much easier to repair.

Edit: Pepage beat me to the post, his idea will work too if you have a hot enough welder, and you won't have to buy any tools.

Tomtoxic
            Participant

great tips!  Thanks!

Tomtoxic
              Participant

Replaced the front axle housing, and steering support seat now secured with new bolts!  Thanks Tommy at Affordable for the parts.  Piece of cake repair!

Affordable
                Participant

Thanks for the order, glad we could help

Tommy

Affordable Tractor Sales

“Your Jinma Parts Superstore”

http://www.affordabletractorsalesco.com

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.