354 died…fuel pump

Forum Forums Tractor Troubleshooting 354 died…fuel pump

Viewing 44 reply threads
  • Author
      meexiles
      Participant

So I was in the field with the 354 idling, when the idle got slower, would speed up, and then get slower, and speed up, etc. until it finally died. When I open the banjo on the fuel filter exit, and turn the engine, I get no fuel. When I changed the fuel filter, the old filter was about 1/2 full of diesel. When I tested flow from the tank, I get a decent trickle of fuel. So I suspect something is wrong with the pump, but before I replace it I want to be sure it isn't something else (screen?).

Can anyone point me where to start looking in order to narrow this down?

Thanks! 

DavidPrivett
        Participant

some of the hoses around the pump have screens inside the fittings ,I would start at the tank and go and check each end of the hoses to the pump.

Bob Rooks
          Participant

I understand that on some models there is a screen inside the tank attached to the sediment bowl. There is also a very fine screen in the sediment bowl itself. Hope you don’t have bugs. See if have a dark sludge anywhere.

Account deleted.

Bob Rooks
            Participant

I understand that on some models there is a screen inside the tank attached to the sediment bowl. There is also a very fine screen in the sediment bowl itself. Hope you don’t have bugs. See if you have a dark sludge anywhere.

Account deleted.

meexiles
              Participant

Fuel bowl is clean. Also, no sign of sludge. If there is fuel flow when I loosen the bolt at the intake of the pump where it is gravity fed from the sediment bowl (and fuel tank), would that mean the screen exiting the sediment bowl is OK? I'm guessing the next test would be to disconnect the hose at the outlet of the fuel pump but before the fuel filter and see if I get any fuel coming out there when I crank the engine?

Someone else mentioned sucking air, but that seems remote and difficult to troubleshoot. 

Bob Rooks
                Participant

You should get a good gravity flow of fuel from the tank. Did you check the sediment bowl screen? You have to remove the bowl, the screen is located above the gasket. Did you drain the tank and remove the sediment bowl/shutoff valve assembly to see if there is an in-tank screen? Don't rely on just a trickle of fuel to determine there is no restrictions. You won't get any fuel flow downstream of the lift pump because it contains two spring loaded check valves – if you do, then that means the check valves aren't holding and the lift pump is defective. A defective lift pump will give the same symptoms as “sucking air”.

Account deleted.

Bob Rooks
                  Participant

Also, how is the oil level in the fuel injection pump?

Account deleted.

meexiles
                    Participant

Regarding the lift pump, if I crank the engine with the hose disconnected from the pump, I should see flow, no?

Regarding the oil level in the fuel injection pump, it is somewhat difficult to check because the machine is on an incline. But there does appear that there is some oil in the pump I just can't tell exactly how much.

I will check the tank and bowl for screens and obstructions.

Bob Rooks
                      Participant

Cranking the engine with the line disconnected that goes to the filter won't be an accurate indicator of volume produced by the pump. It may pump some fuel but if there is a suction restriction it won't tell you that.

Ok, there's some oil in the injection pump, that's good.

Account deleted.

oldfart2
                        Participant

Some of the fuel hoses were known to collapse on the inside and not show on the outside. I would do the cheapest replacement first, that being the fuel hose.

meexiles
                          Participant

I removed the fuel line where the fuel is fed into the injector pump from the sediment bowl, and after 6 hours the tank is still not empty (the sediment bowl shows full and the fuel gauge shows about 1/8 tank though the machine is on an incline so it is hard to tell 100% where the level is).

So I am thinking that perhaps the screens are blocked coming out of the fuel tank and/or sediment bowl? The fastest fuel came out was just above a trickle and now is down to a drip about every 1/2 second or so.

Bob Rooks
                            Participant

An eighth of 7 gallons isn't very much. Put another two gallons in it.

Because the sediment bowl is full, doesn't mean a thing. Even if you run out of fuel there will still be fuel in it. The lift pump takes it's suction from the TOP of the bowl. Are you reluctant to remove the sediment bowl and check the screen in the top? Do you have concerns about removing the sediment bowl assembly to see if you have a plugged in-tank screen? If it turns out you have diesel bugs you are going to have to do some serious tank cleaning, and treat your fuel with a biocide. If you have a stationary fuel storage tank, you will have to clean and treat that too. The bugs are corrosive and can ruin a fuel injection pump and all the injectors.

Account deleted.

meexiles
                              Participant

I am fine removing the sediment bowl/checking its screen and checking the screen at the bottom of the tank, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something as I am trying to empty the fuel tank completely in order to check the screens for blockages.

I am thinking that the slow rate of emptying would point to an issue with a/plugged screen(s) rather than a mechanical issue with the injector pump which was my thinking prior to draining the fuel tank.

Regarding bugs, in looking at the diesel coming out, it appears to be just as clear as it was when it went in; I haven't seen any dark sludge. And thankfully, I don't have fixed fuel pumps; just two 5 gallon diesel cans which are as clean as a whistle. laugh

DavidPrivett
                                Participant

if you have a air compressor use LOW pressure and blow back into the fuel line to the tank with the fuel cap off .Maybe you can free up the blockage so it will drain faster, and if it does you will know where you need clean . I assume that you have checked your fuel turn off valve and it is not just partially open .

Bob Rooks
                                  Participant

Diesel bugs are microscopic and cannot be seen with the naked eye. To correctly find out if you have a problem you test the fuel. it's cheap.

Get the HUM-BUG.

http://www.biobor.com/products…..additives/

Account deleted.

meexiles
                                    Participant

So I got the fuel bowl off and lo and behold, the fuel tank screen has dark colored stuff all over it. Is that a sign of fuel bugs? I'm waiting for my Hum Bug fuel test kit to arrive. *sigh*

I have a picture but I seem to be unable to share my Google Drive images via the CTOA site.

Bob Rooks
                                      Participant

If that stuff is dark brown / black and sludgy, it’s a bazillion dead bugs. You must have got a dose of moisture in your tank somehow. Let’s wait for the test. I’ve performed this test on ships and storage tanks. It’s very reliable.
                                        I’ve even had them myself.

Account deleted.

DavidPrivett
                                        Participant

might want to check your tank for rust remember diesel bugs need water to survive, have you had any water in the fuel bowl show up?

meexiles
                                          Participant

I just bought a Mr. Funnel, so I won't have water issues again, at least, going into the tank. I will also start putting biocide in every tank fill up.

Here is an image of the gummed up screen:

I've ordered the replacement glass sediment bowl kit from Ranch Hand and will install that this weekend. Hopefully all of the steps outlined will put most of these fuel bug issues to rest…?

Bob Rooks
                                            Participant

Yep, that's them all right. Now you must thoroughly clean the tank because they are all over the insides of it. Get a small bug sprayer and pressure wash /rinse down the insides with kerosene before you install the new sediment bowl assembly and let it evaporate dry. Then start dosing with the biocide for at least six tankful's, and keep a close watch on the sediment bowl screen. Most people remove the in-tank screen from the bowl assembly for that very reason. You can't check for bugs in the bowl screen. An easy way to check if there is water in your fuel is to dab some Kolor-Kut on the end of a stick and see if oit turns pink. A little goes a long way.

http://www.amazon.com/Kolor-Kut-Ounce-Water-Finding/dp/B00905UC5E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428032757&sr=8-1&keywords=kolor+kut

Account deleted.

Bob Rooks
                                              Participant

Dead bugs are just as bad as live bugs.

Account deleted.

meexiles
                                                Participant

How does one pressure wash with kerosene? Stick the hose in a bucket of kerosene? Or fill up the detergent tank with kerosene?

Bob Rooks
                                                  Participant

Not pressure wash as in a pressure washer, but use a garden pump sprayer as best you can. You can warm the plastic wand and bend it upwards to get all around in the tank.

CTOA for some reason won't let me post a link. I guess I must be a real threat, and I'm tired of jumping through all the hoops just to post a simple picture (age maybe?). So here is a description. You can get them at any hardware store for under $20.

Hudson #60152 2 Gallon Poly Weed 'N Bug Eliminator Sprayer.

I'm slowly migrating to TBN.

Account deleted.

Tinbender
                                                    Participant

Bob, it ain't you, it's Word Press. This bastard of a program cuts off links after around 15 characters making 99% of them useless. If you were to paste a link, go back and see where it cut you off, and manually finish the link it will work. But who the hell wants to do that?yellyellyell Oh and meexiles, if you were in Oregon or Washington BiMart has a 30 second sprayer (2 gallon pump it up and it lasts for 30 seconds) for $11.00 and change.

meexiles
                                                      Participant

I found a 2 gal pump at lowes this morning for $15 so I am good to go.

So I got the machine running for a bit but I have an issue with foam in the sediment bowl and it won’t start. Every time I drain the foam out of the bowl, re prime the lift pump and crank the engine, it gets foamy again and refuses to start of course.

Ideas?

Bob Rooks
                                                        Participant

Don’t try to run it until you have the tank clean and dried out and have fresh treated fuel in it.

Account deleted.

meexiles
                                                          Participant

How long should I give it to dry out?

Bob Rooks
                                                            Participant

When all the kerosene is evaporated. You can warm the tank with a heat lamp to accelerate the evaporation process, but be very careful, the vapors are highly flammable. This will also remove any water moisture left in the tank.

Account deleted.

DavidPrivett
                                                              Participant

I am not a pro at this but I am wondering about the foam you said you were getting. Did you have enough fuel in the tank? The only way I have seen foam in diesel is with agitation. I was wondering if there was not enough fuel in the tank the injector overflow falling back into the tank was making it foam and making it suck air at the fuel outlet in the tank. I will watch this one to see what the answer is.

meexiles
                                                                Participant

Yes I had about half a tank of fuel and got the foam. I have done what Bob suggested (kerosene flush — boy that stuff is expensive @$3.75/gal). I saw a few bubbles with the kero but it subsided pretty quickly. Now I am just waiting for time and for the kero to dry out in order to try firing it up again. *sigh*

Bob Rooks
                                                                  Participant

Yes, it takes a little time. I’m assuming you are drying an empty tank. And don’t forget to change the fuel filter too.

Account deleted.

DavidPrivett
                                                                    Participant

I would think that if you put some acetone in the tank shook it around and emptied what you could that would speed up the drying process. Although kerosene will burn just fine in a diesel engine ,I believe that is some of the winterizing blend.   

Bob Rooks
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        • Offline

The “Winter blend” you refer to is a blend of #1 and #2 diesel, which both currently have around 500 ppm sulfur. Kerosene does not have the lubricity of sulfur, so therefore isn't used in blending (not to say that some farmers might do it). Kerosene is closer to jet turbine fuel than it is to diesel.

Account deleted.

DavidPrivett
                                                                        Participant
                                                                          • Offline

you are probably right about the farmers using kero . in their bulk tanks to get the diesel to light off a little easier in the winter,that is probably where I heard it.

• #37598
                                                                          Windy Ridge Enterprise
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            • Offline

Re cold weather operation.

My 1979 Peugeot Diesel Owners manual recommended adding “Up to 10%” gasoline to the tank to improve cold weather fuel flow. It had a CAV rotary pump, I did put over 200K on it before I sold it and never had problems with the pump or injectors.  Ran out of fuel once and mixed 50% bar oil and 50% saw gas and made it the 20 miles to the fuel station lots faster than walking. I would not recommend either of these things but those old rotary pumps were pretty robust.

jim

• #37599
                                                                            Bob Rooks
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              • Offline

Your '79 CAV pump was manufactured prior to the development of LSD and ULSD (currently at around 500 ppm sulfur content), so therefore was very forgiving. Trying anything like that nowadays is analogous to just tearing up $500 bills.

roflmao

Account deleted.

• #37600
                                                                              meexiles
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                • Offline

Bob you were right about the fuel filter. I took it off and it was 3/4 full of water. Before doing that I loosened one of the nuts on the injector lines going toward the combustion chamber and cranked the starter…and foam came out.

I’ll pick up some fuel filters tomorrow and should have a chance to button everything up and to try cranking the machine up Friday.

• #37601
                                                                                Bob Rooks
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  • Offline

The foam could be one of two things:

1) An aerated fuel/water mixture.

2) An algae/fuel mixture.

Thankfully this mess was discovered in time before any expensive short term damage was done. Please dose the next three tankful's with a biocide. Those little critters are real tenacious.

Account deleted.

• #37603
                                                                                  pepage
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                    • Offline

I have had a bug problem that stopped me dead on the side of a hill. Finally removed bowl and all screens replacing with a pre-filter and filter that were easy to change.

My first biocide was from West Marine and found out the hard way that the biocide must be dual phase. Now I treat all my new diesel and do quarterly maintenance on all diesel in storage.

• #37606
                                                                                    meexiles
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                      • Offline

Pepage, what pre-filter and filter did you use (on what equipment)? Also, what do you mean by “the biocide must be dual phase”? I am using “Hammonds Biobor JF Diesel Fuel Treatment” (available on Amazon). Hopefully, that will work in my machine….

• #37607
                                                                                      pepage
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        • Offline

I have the dozer with 395T engine.  dual phase biocide treats both the water and diesel. I use Bio Kleen from Power Service. Recommend you read information on their site.

Will have to get back with you on filters.

Phil

• #37611
                                                                                        pepage
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                          • Offline

Pre-filter: WIX 33972

Filter: Racor 025-RAC-02. Recommended by Bob Rooks. Has S2502 element which separates water from fuel.

Phil

• #37614
                                                                                          meexiles
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                            • Offline

After replacing the fuel filter and buttoning everything up, filling with fuel and biocide, the machine is back up and running just fine. I have noticed a tiny amount of fuel coming out the 1 and 4 injector ports that i loosened for troubleshooting purposes. I have tightened them as much as I dare but the tiny leak persists. Would there be teflon tape on the threads that needs replacing?

• #37616
                                                                                            Bob Rooks
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              • Offline

Nope, no Teflon tape allowed there. Make sure the fittings are absolutely clean. Even the tiniest bit of dirt will make them leak. On the downside, there may be a microscopic crack in the flare, and pulsing at around 2,200 psig will leak.

Account deleted.

• #37625
                                                                                              Bob Rooks
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                • Offline

There is also the remote possibility that there is a cracked flare, in which case the line should be replaced. Don't even entertain the idea of making your own lines, you can't, they are specially made from heavy wall steel tubing.

Account deleted.

Viewing 44 reply threads
                                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.