354 timing

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Roger
      Participant

I am back again with more questions concerning the timing of my jinma 354 with the TY 395 non epa engine. First let me start by saying that I am not a mechanic, I am learning as I go. I just had the engine rebuilt and we are trying to time the motor and/or the injection pump. When the gears were put on the front of the motor they were lined up by the marks on the gears and appear to be right. I understand that the engine is to be timed at 18 to 20 degrees btdc. My first question is how do you know what the degrees are since there is no numbers to go by?. 2. When the engine is at tdc on the compression stroke does that mean the engine is at 0 degrees? 3. Is each tooth on the gears equal to one degree? 4. There is a picture in an earlier post that shows the gears on the front of the motor and the gear on the injection pump has slots in it.I assume that is to time the pump? The gear on my injection pump does not have the slots in it , but my pump has slots on it so I assume that is in place of the slots on the gear or do I have the wrong gear on my pump. I understand that there is a procedure that is refered to as spill timing but its kinda of confusing to me. Any assistance that anybody wants to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Affordable
        Participant

When you start out by saying you are not a mechanic, and you are rebuilding a engine you are not going to get alot of help here.Rebuilding a engine is not for a amature ? You must line up the crankshaft, cam, fuel injection pump,ect.If you are off on any one of these you will cause damage,

Do you have the parts books, operation manuals ? It will tell you where the timing marks are, there also on the flywheel.A mark on the balancer is 2 degrees, NOT TEETH.

I would not offer any advise on a engine rebuild without seeing it myself,and I think others feel the same way.To much can happen to cause damage

Tommy

Affordable Tractor Sales

“Your Jinma Parts Superstore”

http://www.affordabletractorsalesco.com

Roger
          Participant

Hi Tommy

It is true that I am not a mechanic. I did not do the rebuild. I am just a go between my mechanic and this site. When he put the gears on the front he lined up the marks. I believe they were marked I, II,AND III. One of his questions is that he saw the picture of the gears lined up in one of my questions before about timing and it shows the gear on the injection as having slots in it and mine doesn't so do I have the right gear on my pump or should I have one with slots in it. I realize that my pump has the slots in it where the bolt holes are so I figured that they would take the place of the slots in the gear but he wanted me to ask. To simplify all of this would it be okay if I gve my mechanic your number so he could call you and sort this out without me confusing anybody anymore? I would appreciate it very much. I bought the short block from circle g tractor and the head from you and had a certified diesel mechanic put it together so this not a backyard rebuild but he still has questions so I am the go between. I do have the manuals for him to use. Thanks again Tommy 

Affordable
            Participant

The bolts in the gear are not slotted on the TY395I fuel injection pump gear

Tommy

Affordable Tractor Sales

“Your Jinma Parts Superstore”

http://www.affordabletractorsalesco.com

Roger
              Participant

Thank You tommy for the info you have provided. I have been out of town for a week so I will pass on what you have provided so far to my mechanic and see if he is ready to proceed with trying to time my tractor. I will let you know how things work out.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.