4 wheel drive

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      dogdoc
      Participant

Can someone give me advice on how to verify my 4 wheel drive is actually working.  I do not notice much difference between 2 wheel and 4 wheel.  I had some issues with a rock and mud last week and now am not sure I have 4 wheel function.  Rear wheels may spin on slick ground I do not move and I do not see the front wheels turning. hmmm

Thanks

Tinbender
        Participant

Sounds like it's not working. Knock on wood I have yet to get stuck in 4WD, you would know the difference if it was working.

rdstevens
          Participant

I agree.  Every time I've had to use 4X4, I'd get stuck or spin out in 2 wheel drive, then go to 4 wheel drive and get going again.  I make a point of only using the 4X4 when the tractor tells me I need it.  So, if/when it's working, you'll know it for sure.

DavidPrivett
            Participant

you can always jack it up carefully on heavy jackstands and engage the 4 wheel with the engine not running but in gear and see what wheels are engaged. you could also press the diff.lock and check it.

RichWaugh
              Participant

If you have a FEL on the tractor, you should be able to lift the front wheels off the ground with the FEL and then, with the engine off and the transmission in gear and 4WD selected, try to rotate the front wheels by hand.  If the whole front drive train is intact, you should find that the rear wheels being in contact with the ground prevents the front wheels from turning.  If they do rotate, then either the front drive shaft has come uncoupled internally (most common) or there is a problem in the transfer case (less likely).

I think this will work – I haven't tested it, it just seems to make sense.hmmm

Tinbender
                Participant

If you do jack the front of the tractor up be extremely careful, tractors tilt from the center.readin Get some 4×4's and block the front axle on either side of the center pivot.

Dan Lewis
                  Participant

lifting the front axle off the ground- using the loader and have the tractor in gear (engine off)  and 4×4 selected

Spin one front wheel- the other front wheel should spin in the opposite direction if everything is ok- due to differential action in the 3rd member and  because the front axles differential pinion  is locked (because  its in 4×4).  Unless your tractor features (front diff lock) doubt it- or the front driveline has become un coupled as stated  above  (most likely )     Hope this makes sense

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.