4 x 4 clip broke again

Forum Forums Tractor Troubleshooting 4 x 4 clip broke again

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      mttoptv
      Participant

I have a Jinma 284. I have replaced the circlip (4×4 shaft) on the tractor at least 5 times. The last time I replaced the shaft and couplings which was in the spring thinking this would prevent  the problem of the clip breaking, it is always the front one (the end of shaft towards the front axle). Well it broke again. Does anyone have any idea why they break other than poor design. I do use the 4×4 nearly all the time in the winter to plow our road which is 1.3 miles long.

dogdoc
        Participant

just replaced shaft, couplers (front and rear), clips/star washers, dust covers, all ball bearings and weldment (shaft cover).  a real pain in the you know what.  all because I ran up on a rock this summer mowing.  gotta be a better way to do this.  other than hey dummy don't run up on rocks anyone got an upgrade?

RichWaugh
          Participant

Maybe a skid plate like on a 4×4 utility?

dogdoc
            Participant

gonna try to make some 8 mm rod pieces to replace ball bearings in 4 wheel drive connectors.  any suggestions on what metal type to use.  I do have a small forge that I use to harden knife blades ground from 440 stainless or o1 tool steel.  Mcmaster Carr has M2 steel which has the same hardness as the 8 mm ball bearings they sell  around Rockwell 62

thanks

RichWaugh
              Participant

You don't need a real hard steel for the rods, as the contact area is orders of magnitude greater than with the balls.  I'd just get some 8mm grade 8.8 or grade 10.9 metric bolts with adequate smooth shaft to cut the slugs from and you'll be good to go.

dogdoc
                Participant

thanks rich, got the 8mm bolts at home depot today grade 8.8 and started making the slugs.  initially made cylinder shaped pieces but when tried them in the parts I took off my tractor they do not sit deep enough in the connector.  so made them to look something like a pistol bullet with a blunt taper on one end and flat surface on the other.  tapered end fitting inside the connector.  10 mm long  brings the flat surface to the face of the connector.  I am not sure about this length yet as I do not have any extra star washers and c clips to test fit everything.  it is a work in progress

RichWaugh
                  Participant

There's no need to try to extract every last millimeter of length out of those pieces, Doc.  As I noted earlier, the difference in contact area between a ball, which contacts only at a microscopically small tangent point, and a cylinder even two millimeters long is truly huge – like a hundred times the area of contact.  Make it easy on yourself.  (grin)

dogdoc
                    Participant

made the slugs today and installed. 8mm diam, 10mm long, tapered at one end.   much more difficult to put together than with the ball bearings.  the flat surface of the slug at the edge of the connector catches when mating the connector and shaft.  if I were to do it again I would taper both ends of the slug to help avoid that problem.  unfortunately wont know until april if the whole thing works!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.